As I’m sure you all have noticed, we’ve been slacking a bit in the blogging department over the past two months. Well the good news is we’re back! And the better news is that I’ve spent most of the past 6 weeks in Portland, Oregon for work and so I’ll be sharing all the great places to eat, drink, and sight see in PDX over the next few weeks!
It probably won’t surprise you, that within about 48 hours of arriving in Portland my colleagues realized I’m pretty good at planning activities and picking restaurants. Therefore it became my responsibility. It was definitely a lot of pressure trying to pick a place for lunch everyday that would have something all 6 of us would like, but luckily I had done my research and picked out a few options close to our plant beforehand. After I exhausted those options, I turned to Yelp and other bloggers for suggestions. About 20 lunches and a new nickname (NaviKate) later, we definitely had found a few awesome lunch spots in North & North East Portland. Below you’ll find our top 5!
TOP 5 Lunch Spots in North & NE Portland
- Lardo – One of my first suggestions for lunch was Lardo, and it was so good that it was the first place we went back to. They specialize in sandwiches, especially those with some form of pork or bacon. I was able to try the Pork Meatball Bahn Mi and the Korean Pork Shoulder which were both delicious. They even have the option to turn your sandwich into a salad which I tried and was almost as good as the sandwich form (their bread is pretty hard to beat). I was also a big fan of their brussel sprouts! If you are not able to make it over to North Portland, don’t worry they also have locations in the South East and South West!
- Por Que No? – Tacos are one of my favorite foods, and so when we discovered Por Que No? on Taco Tuesday we knew we had to bring the rest of the group back for lunch the next day. We tried almost every taco on their menu and a few of favorites were the Al Pastor, Pollo Verde, Camarones, and surprisingly the Lengua (braised beef tongue). Be prepared to wait in line outside on a busy day (don’t worry they have umbrellas for you to borrow), since you don’t grab a seat until after you’ve placed your order. While you can’t go wrong with lunch, its definitely worth stopping by on Tuesday night for all night happy hour specials on both tacos and margaritas (we recommend the one with the spicy salt)!
- Pine State Biscuits – Like Lardo, Pine State Biscuits was a place that I liked well enough to go back to and also has multiple locations (which let’s be honest is usually a good sign in a town full of great food). While we didn’t get a chance to try a ton of the menu, we all agreed that The Reggie and The Chatfield were pretty awesome. Plus at $8 for a large biscuit and piece of fried chicken, you really can’t beat the price!
- Frank’s Noodle House – When all else fails, you can always count on a list of places featured on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives for a few good restaurant suggestions. That was definitely the case when it came to Frank’s Noodle House! As you can tell from the name, the noodles are their specialty is noodles and they are all hand-made. You can also choose how spicy you want them which is always a plus! I really enjoyed the chicken with a medium level of spice!
- Grilled Cheese Grill – This wouldn’t be a list of the best lunch places in Portland without at least one food truck! Grilled Cheese Grill not only makes an awesome grilled cheese and tomato soup, you get to eat your lunch in a school bus that’s been converted to tables. It’s has a lot of great options for vegetarians (or those who are observing meatless Fridays in Lent like a few of us were) and the perfect meal on a rainy day, which if you’ve been to Portland in February you know is almost every day.
While for the most part we agreed on our top 5, we did all feel that Javier’s Taco Shop deserved an honorable mention since it was our first group meal of our trip. If you’re looking for a dive Mexican joint that’s open 24 hours and has food that’s pretty good, it’s definitely worth checking out!
Did your favorite lunch spots in North & North East Portland make our list? If not let us know where we should check out next!