We have been going to Long Beach Island, NJ or LBI for short our entire life. And so we might be a bit biased when we say it’s not only the best beach in New Jersey, but also the entire Northeast! LBI is 18 miles of beautiful beaches, 6 miles out at sea. We love that it has a quieter and more relaxed vibe, most likely due to the fact that there is no board walk. There are also tons of amazing restaurants, fun bars, and great shops. It truly has a little bit of something for everyone. Below you’ll find some of our favorite things to do and places to eat.
Top 10 Things to do on LBI
- Visit Old Barney – On the north end of the island you’ll find Barnegat State Park where you can climb the lighthouse, explore its history, and walk out onto the giant jetty!
- Take the LBI Shuttle and Create you’re own Bar Tour – On weekends from Memorial Day through September and during the week from the end of June through Labor Day you can catch one of the free LBI shuttles on Long Beach Blvd. All you have to do is flag them down as they pass. Last year we took advantage of the free shuttle to bar hop up and down the island and we highly recommend it. Just don’t forget that they stop running at 10 pm!
- Try the Chowder at Blue Water Cafe – Clam chowder is a big deal on LBI and Blue Water Cafe has the medals to prove they do it better than anyone else. If you can only get one, I recommend the New England, but if you’re getting it to go, get a pint of both New England and Manhattan and mix them for a lighter but delicious chowder! The rest of the menu is pretty delicious too and it’s BYOB!
- Shop at Bay Village – How many places can you shop in stores located in the replica of an actual ship? Not many! So be sure to check out Bay Village and the Lucy Evelyn replica.
- Eat Breakfast at Mustache Bill’s or The Sandbox Cafe – If you’re in the mood for diner food, you can’t go wrong with James Beard Award Winner Mustasche Bill’s. On the other hand, if you’d like something a bit more unique enjoy a sizzler in the fairy garden-like setting at The Sandbox Cafe. No matter which one you pick, be sure to bring cash (both are cash only) and arrive early or risk waiting in a long line.
- Take a Paddle Boarding Lesson – Paddle boarding is a great way to explore the bay and get a great workout. If you’ve never tried it before we recommend taking a lesson, but if you’re a paddle boarding pro, be sure to check out the yoga & paddle boarding classes!
- Satisfy your Sweet Tooth at Country Kettle Fudge – With over 26 flavors of hand-whipped fudge and salt water taffy in a variety of flavors, there is definitely something for every sweet tooth at Country Kettle Fudge. Some of our favorite flavors are OREO and chocolate marshmallow!
- Ride Nardi’s Pink Bus – Riding the pink Nardi’s bus is definitely a right of passage for anyone who has grown up vacationing on LBI. The pink bus will pick you up and take you to Nardi’s and drive you home after you just have to call the number!
- Spend Time on the Water – Whether it’s a sunset cruise on a pirate ship, a fishing trip, or renting jet skis spend some time enjoying the beautiful surroundings
- Attend a Festival or Fair– It seems like there is a festival or fair happening somewhere on the island almost every weekend in the warm weather. The summer season opens in late May and early June with the Hop Sauce Festival and Wine Festival and closes the first weekend in October with Chowderfest. In between you’ll find everything from local craft fairs to a film festival.
Bonus: If you’re travelling with kids who miss the boardwalk rides and games, have no fear, Fantasy Island Amusement Park has you covered!